At this time, 611 people have signed.
The tropical alga Caulerpa taxifolia was accidentally introduced into the Mediterranean Sea in the 1980s.
This is without doubt a very resistant strain that came from the aquaria, which explains why:
- The invaded area increases by a factor of 3X to 10X every year. Nothing stops Caulerpa taxifolia between 0 and 100 meters, and it is resistant to cold. The invaded area comprised 4,000 to 5,000 hectares at the end of 1997.
- It is capable of invading almost all types of nearshore bottom and there is no herbivore in the Mediterranean that eats substantial amounts of it.
This remarkably rapid, unparalleled invasion is a grave threat to:
- Posidonia seagrass meadows, the "lungs and nursery" of the Mediterranean.
- The native flora and fauna: very few species persist in the invaded sites.
- Fishing - devastates the catch, decimates populations.
- Diving - invaded sites are uninteresting.
300 scientific publications on Caulerpa taxifolia: : http://www.com.univ-mrs.fr/basecaul
We who use the sea demand that
the relevant governmental authorities finally undertake
the control and eradication measures necessary
to fight Caulerpa Taxifolia.
Return this petition to Association Méditerranée Vivante by post :